I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My first day on the land I would end up buying. Giddy...literally giddy!
Well, this is my first blog, first post...a true first edition :) I am writing this for two reasons - one for posterity and two for all of the friends and family curious about my latest adventure. This adventure involves buying land back home and building on it...some days I pinch myself because I feel so lucky...others I wonder if I have COMPLETELY LOST MY MIND! :)

I don't know how often I will make posts, but I do hope to write at least a little progress report weekly with photos once the building begins later this month. I am bound to make a ton of mistakes as I go through this process. I did a restoration project several years ago, but construction from the ground up is completely new to me. Maybe I can share my mistakes and failures with friends and family so that people can learn from my experiences...maybe that is too ambitious :) I just want to document this adventure...I only wish I had started this when it began a year and a half ago because it has already been a crazy ride :)

Well, this is a good first effort...we'll see how this goes :)

1 comment:

  1. Update: I bought 30 acres back home on South 14, minutes from the Buffalo National River, and 15 minutes from my hometown of Yellville, Arkansas. I closed on the land in March 2008 days before my step-father passed away from complications with a form of blood cancer. The closing date was bittersweet with me crying due to the circumstances, and driving to Jonesboro right after so I could pick up my little sister, drive to Memphis in the wee hours and catch the first flight to Boston, Massachusetts where he was already in CCU.

    In June of 2008, I began work building a road from the top of the mountain into the hollow because that was where the "sweet spot" was/is...the road took over a year, two attempts, and lots of money to accomplish. There was the bluff line the length of the mountain midway down. Lack of dirt to build the road, and/or cover the bluff (depending on your perspective). Finally, a 20 year flood hit a couple of weeks after the road was completed the first time in June 2008. I was devastated.

    In late summer 2009, we attacked it again...I had a great road guy :) Fearless! It was amazing!

    With that, the next leg of the adventure began with my fingers crossed and praying feverishly every day that the road would hold.

    ReplyDelete