I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sewer System






Well the sewer system is in. Anton Such is amazing. After a challenging perc test, I hired Anton to install the sewer system. Not as easy as one might hope since the main sewer system is at the bottom of the hollow near the job site, but the line has to be built and buried from there all the way up the mountain (and not following the road mind you) which is approximately 800'. So Anton had his work cut out for him, and as always, he did a great job. I would like to add that earlier this summer I (with the help of family and friends) laid 800' of electric line, phone line, and water line); we put in about 200' of sewer line too from the bottom to the first turnaround spot so we did help Anton out some (a little). Where we stopped is a pretty nasty steep spot, and the line right at that tip still needs to be buried, but Wesley told Anton he could do that part with his dozer.

I think the lesson I have learned with the sewer system is simple - hire the right people. The perc test is the road map for your sewer installation so that part is relatively easy. The challenge is all about your site, and lets just say I am earning a reputation in Marion County for having a challenging job site. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing, and make sure your builder's risk insurance is up-to-date :)

I have pictures of the main system before it got buried. The site picked was right under a future picnic site, but it is all working out. I will be writing a lot more about this site as the job progresses since the water system will tie-in here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment