I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Heat & Air, Electric, and Plumbing Subs ~ Picking up steam!


Well, it is the fourth weekend of February, and we are really picking up steam!  Every weekend when I get up home, I have more and more to see...which leads to more and more decisions to be made.  This weekend when I got in, three of the main subs had been hard at it all week ~ heat & air, the electrician, and the plumber.  I had met with all three on the same day a couple of weeks back on a day that became known as "sub day" because I met with something like seven subs all back-to-back throughout the day. 

It was great to finally see stuff going in the walls and ceilings.  The heat & air guys had walked me through every inch of the workshop allowing me to pick out where I wanted floor and ceiling vents.  We talked through my concerns and questions.  I wanted to be able to shut the heat & air off downstairs or upstairs depending on which areas I was using.  I wanted to be able to shut them down too if I was working in the workshop downstairs and needed the windows open for ventilation, but wanted the air conditioning on upstairs because I was staying up there at the time (or someone else was).  As my father would say, "I'm not paying to air condition the world."  It was amazing to walk through the structure and envision all of the scenarios.  I was impressed by how responsive and helpful they were, and they had great ideas and solutions for everything we discussed that day. 

The electrician my GC had selected was equally as helpful.  We also walked through the entire workshop deciding on where lights needed to go, what kind of lighting, etc.  It was an eye opening experience.  I knew from my house in Little Rock though that you simply cannot have enough lights, AND that I wanted a dimmer switch on everything.  Also, the dark room and workshop areas had special lighting and electric needs for future tools, access, etc.  It was very important to get this right ~ the first time, and I appreciated the electrician taking the time to help me get it right.  We also talked a lot about where to get lights, switches, etc.  Let me say that Lowe's has a great offering and saved me a lot of money on switches, etc.  Who knew those things were so expensive??

Finally, the plumber was great and came up with a lot of solutions to questions that arose on the master bath shower.  Also, during our meeting it was determined there was space and it would be helpful to have a laundry tub sink in the workshop.  That area, which had gotten tweaked at the beginning, now provided the perfect spot for this....I have a feeling it will prove invaluable down the line. 

All-in-all I could not be more pleased with the progress in these three areas.  Frankly, the biggest concern is will I have the lights, faucets, etc. picked out and ready for them when they need them to install...I am struggling to make these selections :( with all of the choices out there, PLUS there are simply so many decisions to make at one time.  I am not complaining, but it is interesting that after months of steady as she goes progress....the train has not only left the station, but the brakes might have gone out :)  As my friend Sher always says, "onward and upward!"

No comments:

Post a Comment