I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Friday, April 23, 2010

Metal Barn Roof ~ Done! :)


 

I cannot begin to express how wonderful it is to draft a blog about something that from start to finish went smoothly, if not absolutely perfectly. 

The roof!!

I always knew exactly what I wanted in regards to the roof.  I envisioned the workshop looking somewhat like an old, gutted, rehabilitated barn.  When I was a kid we had the best barn ever on our farm.  It was big.  There was a huge loft with a lot of hay in it, and a big rope swing.  I remember swinging on the rope swing and landing in the hay ~ laughing until my sides ached.  I absolutely love old barns ~ everything about them.  One of my favorite parts ~ the roof.  If you were raise on a farm, and/or in the country like me ~ you know there is nothing better than sitting under a metal roof on a rainy day.  So as you can see there was never any doubt that I would put a metal roof on the workshop (as I will the cabin). 

The only question that stumped me on the roof was which ridge line I wanted.  Let me just say that as I write this, I am laughing because "ridge line" is neither correct or a technical term, but it is the best I can do and recall as I draft this blog.  Anyway, I really looked to Steve (GC) and others for their opinion because all I knew was metal, galvenized..period.  With regards to a galvenized roof (plain, one might say), I know that everyone is doing colors these days...I guess I am a purist because I just cannot go down that road.  Sorry.

Also, a couple of learning lessons.  There is all sorts of ventilation, etc. coming out of the roof line that has to be considered, etc. with the roof and siding (to be discussed later) styles I had selected.  I highly recommend that you hire a great roofer (whatever it takes) and someone who knows all the extras that make it not simply a structure, but craftsmanship.  I may not know or understand all that Steve and his crew has done (bless my heart), but I know quality when I see it....the workshop is solid with great attention to detail, and I not only appreciate that but the lessons Steve is teaching me along the way...

So, it is February and we have a roof.  A beautiful roof.  A perfect roof.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is may seem a bit late, but still I’m glad that you’re satisfied on the result of your work. Choosing a roof material is really confusing since there are numerous types of roof to choose from. But the good thing was you got a good roofer that helped you out on this. I totally agree with you that having a great roofer is one of the key factors to a successful installation. They must have the right skills, and use only quality materials.

    Nelson Mcglaughlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful and perfect roof, indeed! And it suits right with the style of your barn. I'm glad to know that you know exactly what you wanted in regards with roof. Just make sure you check it at least twice a year to make sure it's watertight.
    TwinRiversRoofing.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could understand why you choose metal roof; it has many pros, isn't it? A few of them are: long life span (50 years or more when taken care properly), climate resistance, and it's recyclable so it's good for the environment.
    Regards,
    Chantay Smithingell @ MuthRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete