I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tile for the Upstairs Bathroom :)







I went with Jason Bradford (Marshall, Arkansas) for my tile work in the upstairs bathroom.  He did a great job!!  I would highly recommend him.  I got three bids for the tile work.  At the end of the day, the price was similar on all of them, so I went with my instincts on the one who seemed to click best with my personality.  As I have posted before...one of the biggest aha moments on this whole journey is that instincts should always trump.  Jason's "vibe", I guess you could say, won him the job over anything else. 

I went with the same tile design/look I used back in 2001-2002 when I renovated a house in Jonesboro, Arkansas, that was built in the late 1800s.  This was not my first choice in the workshop; I actually had a completely different color palette in mind, but something clicked causing me to go back to this look.  I am so glad I did.  One additional note on my tile choices....I love doing tile halfway up the wall.  A couple of guys on site the day I was getting bids from the tile guys were laughing at me about it...so I proceeded to tell them (joking around) that if they really loved their wives they would tile the walls in the bathroom.  I love it because it looks so clean, and I believe it is easier to keep clean.  They just gave me that look like "silly girl" so I just shrugged my shoulders.  Maybe it is just a "Heather Thing", but I really believe tile walls rock! :)

Allow me another slight digression to explain why color choices, etc. are getting so difficult...when you are building one structure, but you still have the dream of another in your head (for me the cabin)...it can get confusing and overwhelming sometimes when you get to big design choices or even small touches.  Sometimes I cannot remember which one I planned something for, and the nearer I get to the end of the construction period for the workshop, the more overwhelmed I seem to get...Yeah!! :)

It took Jason two days to lay and grout the floor and walls.  He came back a few days later and sealed it.  I cannot say enough about his demeanor, professionalism, and work.  It was a very pleasant experience from start to finish.  I did not get to see the final product until I got back from San Francisco, but I was thrilled.  The funny thing was both Wesley and Jason said the pictures didn't do it justice...they were right.  I thought it was cute how proud Jason was of his work...nice! :)

There will be more about Jason in another blog (probably next week).  I was so impressed by him, that I posed a question to him...and it ends up he is going to save my bacon on another part of the workshop.  Yeah again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment