I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Siding ~ West Coast Cedar & Windows Going In


After all of the drama with the windows, I have to admit I had begun to wonder if the windows would ever arrive, much less be installed.  That drama only intensified as I began to learn for myself the importance of a construction timeline.  No windows...no west coast cedar siding.  Ohhhhh...

Well, as you know the windows did finally arrive (not the doors...yet), and since the main sliding door on the downstairs came from the window company ~ yeah ~ I got it with the window order.  The double sliding patio door is very important, and I worked really hard to get exactly what I felt was needed for the space.  This is the main door for the downstairs, and it also enters into the actual workshop.  In theory, this door needs to be wide enough to get anything you might be working on, in and out easily.  For example, I like to refinish furniture.  Considering the size of some pieces, you need to make sure the opening is going to be large enough to get in and out of without having to tear it apart.  I also needed a lot of light.  I am slightly addicted to sunlight, light, etc.  In addition, this is a small space (objects may appear larger in pictures than they are) so light is crucial to prevent you from feeling like you are in a cave (I already have one of those up the creek).  I had also found a renovated barn in a magazine that had what looked like a double sliding patio door with a sliding barn door on the outside.  So suddenly, I had everything ~ looks, functionality, and a picture (not just a crazy vision in my head) ~ now I needed to find the door.  Though I still have nothing good to say about the retailer I used for the doors and windows.  The manufacturer of the windows and my double sliding patio door, Jeld Wen, is phenomenal.  The end result was perfect.

Steve could not believe how large and heavy the door was when they went to install it.  The pictures do not show the whole story because the two center panels are missing.  Those will be one of the last things installed (in May ~ fingers crossed).  The barn doors will be made by the carpenter later on. 

The windows look beautiful.  They are a rustic bronze color on the outside trim.  I love the color, and it looks great against the siding.  I also got a stained glass window for the downstairs half bath.  That is another funny story of disaster.  I finally find the perfect stained glass window ~ it has sun rays and everything, and it breaks in transit.  No time to fix or order another one...I am stumped on what to do as I head to Fayetteville for a board meeting.  Wesley to the rescue (again)!  He goes out on Craigslist and starts searching...he finds one at an antique store in Rogers, Arkansas (30 minutes from my board meeting).  Go Wesley!  Steve had to pop it out of the makeshift frame and install and seal it, but it looks beautiful.  It is not insulated...yada yada, but it is a small window in a small room, and it is okay to not have every square inch energy efficient :) 

One note....if you really know me you will recognize immediately why this window was "perfect" for me :)

That brings us to the West Coast Cedar siding I selected for the outside of the workshop.  I knew I wanted board and batten siding (though I did waffle slightly at the beginning).  I knew I needed a high quality siding due to the location.  The west coast cedar siding fit the bill on all counts.  It is beautiful, but slightly expensive.  After it is installed, we are going to put multiple coats of CWF (clear) on it to enhance the natural color of the cedar.

With only a little more than half of the workshop done, you can already tell it is going to be amazing.  It looks just like the vision in my head, the sketches, etc.  I am getting giddy all over again.  This is happening...maybe it is down hill from here :)  Not!

No comments:

Post a Comment