I started this blog primarily for my parents who are full-time missionaries in Panama. I wanted them to be able to follow my progress in building a "workshop" in my hollow. The 3 month construction period is now into month 8 :) I have gotten lazy about the blog as I have become overwhelmed by keeping up with the construction, my career, my family, etc. As I begin again here in month 8, I am committed to not only getting back on the wagon, but catching up on these past three months adventures via the blog...one day at a time.

So enjoy the laughter and the tears as a single girl continues her adventure...building her dream at the bottom of the mountain, by the creek, in a beautiful hollow in north Arkansas.

Working My Way Back Home

Working My Way Back Home
Me...Completely Giddy...1st Day

Saturday, April 24, 2010

More Siding & Windows... (more March 2010)


Now both sides of the workshop and front are progressing as the windows and siding are installed simultaneously from one side of the workshop, around the front, and over the other side.  I am getting more and more excited as it goes up, and the CWF hasn't even been applied.  Once applied, it will only enhance the wood's natural beauty.  As the windows go up, it also allows me time to breathe and let go of some of my frustration with the window and door retailer.  It may have been an awful process, but the end result is that I have beautiful windows.  Lesson learned ~ will never use them again, but I will definitely use Jeld Wen in the future. 

I say "some of my frustration" because as of these pictures there are still no doors on site.  These were ordered from the same retailer, but a different manufacturer.  As you will notice there is no siding on the front of the workshop, second floor.   That is because those three exterior doors have to be installed BEFORE the siding is put on.  Welcome to delay number two as a result of the window and door retailer.  Grrrrr....but what can you do?  Learn and move on.  Steve and his crew did a great job of getting others things completed while we waited, waited, and waited some more ~ one additional month.  :(

Moving on, another amazing site is the scaffolding.  You do not really understand what it takes to do something until you see it in action.  In addition, this is not the first - or the last - time they will have to use it.  That is a tedious process too when you think about building it, tearing it down, moving it, and then starting all over again.  Just little things to remember when you appreciate getting a really good builder who is safety conscious and clearly competent. 

So, we are progressing further...waiting, and adapting.  A flexible GC ~ this week's (and month's) best practice.

P.S.  I also had to add the beautiful shot of the sun going down and the road.  Simply breathtaking down there in the hollow, and that has alleviated a lot of stress along the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment